Code of Conduct
The Reforge Charleston Code of Conduct is in place to outline exceptions and best practices that keep our maker space a safe and fun place to be.
Code of Conduct
- All guests and members must follow the Code of Conduct.
- Safety is important, if you are unsure of how to safely do something, don’t do it.
- Directors and the President may ban anyone who violates the Code of Conduct from the premises or online systems. Bans may be reversed upon agreement by 2 or more members of the Board of Directors.
- Don't merely respect each other; be excellent to each other.
- We are all here to make things and learn. Collaboration is important.
- When you break something, own up to it. If you have any doubt about fixing it, ask for help. Don't make someone feel bad for breaking things, help them understand what went wrong.You will not be asked to replace/repair equipment due to honest mistakes, we just want to know why something broke so we can prevent it in the future.
- Clean, Maintain, Organize, Improve. Always leave the space better than you found it.This includes taking out the trash, wiping down tables, vacuuming/sweeping floors, returning tools to the proper place, etc.
- Don't be afraid to ask questions. Answer them kindly; eventually you'll have to ask for help too.
- Tools/resources must stay on the premises so that other members may use them.<ref>Removing tools/resources from the space without authorization from an Officer or member of the Board of Directors is theft.
- Everyone must sign a liability waiver.
- Sleeping is not cool, but naps are ok. We are not a hotel. A nap is a short period of sleep, typically taken during daylight hours as an adjunct to the usual nocturnal sleep period. Naps are most often taken as a response to drowsiness during waking hours. If you are "napping" at the space instead of sleeping at home, you are violating the rule. Please drive responsibly, if you are too tired to drive use Uber/Lyft or call a cab.
- All members are expected to maintain a safe and clean environment at all times.
- Smoking cigarettes/cigars, use of vaporizers (also known as electronic cigarettes) is not allowed inside the building.
- No pets allowed in the building.
- Don't catch fire, set others on fire, or set anything on fire which has not been designated or designed to be on fire.
- It is the responsibility of each member to help enforce the Code of Conduct. If someone is violating the Code of Conduct politely explain to them why their behavior is not acceptable. Egregious violations should be reported to a Director or the President.
- Guests can not inhabit the Reforge Charleston Makerspace without another authorized Member present.
- Guests are encouraged to become Members.
- Guests are not allowed to use tools and equipment, except as part of a scheduled class/workshop.
- Members are responsible for their Guests and their actions.
- Reforge Charleson is not a day care.
- Minors 18 and under must be accompanied closely by Parent or Legal Guardian at all times and are not allowed to have keys to the space.
- Accompanied closely means visual range generally, and immediate reach when near dangerous tools.
- Parents/Legal Guardians are responsible for their children and their actions.
- Minors under the age of 18 must have their liability form signed by a Parent or Legal Guardian, In order to participate in Reforge Programs.
The formal complaint process exists for members to request a discussion be held by the Board of Directors regarding specific actions of another member. Members are expected to discuss their complaints in a calm and polite manner. Mediation is available to resolve issues without the need of a formal complaint.
- Formal complaints against another member must be submitted, in writing, to the Board of Directors or to any member of the Board of Directors. Primary contact is via email@example.com The complaint must have two parts outlined at minimum, a "Complaint" part and a "Recommended Solution" part.
- The Board of Directors will decide to either hold a special meeting regarding this matter, or will consider it at the next meeting in its cycle.
- The Board of Directors is not required to act in accordance to the grievance or complainant's "Recommended Solution" part and may devise its own remediation.
- Complaints will be added to the agenda of the meeting, posted on this wiki, without identifying information.
- Minutes for the meeting will not be scrubbed of identifying information.
Reforge Charleston Makerspace does not promote or discriminate against any person, population group, or organization with regard to categories protected by applicable United States law. These include, but are not limited to race, color, religion, sex, gender expression, physical appearance, language, education background, national origin, age, disability, and veteran status.